I've been a victim of identity theft. What do I do?

We've compiled information published by official Canadian organisms. Please don't trust even our own text: go to the source webpages and verify the phone numbers before calling.

From Identity theft and you, Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada:

If you think you’ve been targeted, there are actions you should take to address the situation. Depending on the circumstances, you might need to:

  • Report the incident to local police if the matter involved a theft/crime

  • Report the incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (1-888-495-8501) if the matter involved a scam or fraud

  • Advise your bank and credit card companies. Request new bank or credit cards with new numerical identifiers on them

  • Report any missing identity documents or cards, such as a driver’s licence, a health card or immigration documents to the appropriate organization

From What should you do if you think you are a victim of identity theft?, by the CRA:

You should immediately:

  • notify your financial institution and the local police;

  • contact the CRA at 1-800-959-8281;

  • report the theft to a credit reporting agency such as Equifax or TransUnion;

  • keep records of recent purchases, payments, and financial transactions; and

  • call 1-800-O-Canada (1-800-622-6232) for information on where and how to replace identity cards such as your health card, driver’s licence, or SIN if necessary.

To report a fraudulent communication, or if your identity was stolen as part of a scam, please contact the Royal Canadian Mounted Police’s Phonebusters by email at info@phonebusters.com or call 1-888-495-8501.

You are also encouraged to check your credit report periodically and verify the data you will find in there. You'll need to check with the two credit bureaus working in Canada (Equifax and TransUnion). Instructions to access your information free of charge are available here for Equifax and here for TransUnion. Also, it's possible that you can access your credit report and score from one of these companies via your bank account (for example, Scotiabank provides TransUnion data to their customers for free.) Lastly, there are services like Borrowell or Credit Karma that you can also use to access that information. Please be aware that we're not endorsing any of these services.